We Have Moved!

This blog has been retired and will receive no new content. To read new Cranial Soup articles, please visit our new location.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Barbie Wants to Code

I thought the idea of branding was taken a bit too far when I saw this, but I think we can take it to an absurd distance and territories completely unknown, by proposing a fun little exercise for your 1337 Photochop skills.

Now that Hello Kitty has her own antivirus (how can you take a product like that seriously?), Barbie is jealous and wants her own programming IDE...and she wants YOU to design it for her.

Your assignment (if you choose to accept it):
  • Take a screenshot of your favorite IDE.
  • Drag it into the photo editing software of your choice.
  • Dress it up Barbie style...all pink, flowery, and quite girly.
  • Make it look like something Barbie would be proud to code in.
  • Show it off by posting a link to your creation(s) in a comment.
Here is one I quickly did to give you an idea of what I mean and get your creative juices flowing. I am sure you can do much better than this, with a little thought and effort.

Delphi 6 for Barbie:

Delphi 6 for Barbie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL, Hello Kitty anti-virus, now that is just plain stupid, who is going to trust that!

I wouldn't trust it for a second.

Nice blog, You've earned yourself a new subscriber.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking that if I start dressing up anything all "girly" that my wife will either commit me or leave me. Nope, ain't taking any chances. lol

App said...

@mitch:

You may have hit the nail on the head as to why nobody has submitted an image yet.

1. Most guys would be afraid to deliberately make anything look girly, out of fear that it might cause others question their masculinity.

2. Most coders are guys.

As a female coder, that thought never entered my mind when I made my post. Thanks for reminding me how much mainstream culture can make guys feel insecure.

But I'll hold on to the hope that somewhere out there, is a male coder with a daughter, that would have no issues with designing something his daughter would like.

Or that a rare female coder may read the post and respond with an image.

Or a truly feminine guy that doesn't care if the world thinks anything of him being naturally girly.