How to annoy people on Twitter (or at least me).
Don’t do these things and you will be more likely to keep the followers you have and get more followers by being recommended by them.
1. Copy & paste quotes from famous people instead of letting your followers read what you have to say.
2. Send them an automatic DM with a link to your crappy site, a free gift, or some valuable secret info you want to sell for the low price of $49, as your very first communication with them.
3. Send them a DM thanking them for following you when you are the one that just followed them first.
4. RT every link posted by Robert Scoble ASAP. Since we are all following him already, it's not likely we saw it when he posted it 30 seconds ago, right?
5. Tweet links to pages that look like a bad ebay ad, selling some new method of getting millions of twitter followers overnight, how to get your site on the front page of Digg, how to get tons of traffic for your website, or how to make a fortune on Adsense.
6. Do searches and tweet people you are not even following, attempting to sell them a $100 mini flashlight, just because they mentioned a flashlight in one of their tweets.
7. DM people unsolicited links to photos of your hairy scary ass or other equally ugly body parts that you really should keep covered.
8. TWEET IN ALL CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111
9. Tweet the same message 10 times in a row.
10. Make sure at least 1 tweet per hour contains the words "FREE LAPTOP".
11. Tell every Windows user to "just get a Mac"
12. At least 50% of your tweets should be about how great your iPhone is.
13. Have your ENTIRE lifestream feed into twitter from friendfeed, then go on a huge "like" spree with every LOLcat posted there in the last 6 months.
14. Follow and unfollow the same person repeatedly.
15. Publicly welcome every new follower you get.
16. #Make #every #word #in #your #tweets #into #hashtags #and #toss #in #a #few #extra #popular #but #irrelevant #ones #just #for #the #hell #of #it. #Don't #forget #to #finish #by #making #one #up #that #is #complete #nonsense. #ljhgliu
17. Use URL shortening services to make links that point to links already shortened by other shorteners.
18. Beg for retweets.
19. Post many tweets in a row for #followfriday with just a bunch of names and no explanation of why anyone should follow them. Every childless person on twitter should follow that stay-at-home mom that tweets diaper changing and toilet training tips, right?
20. Use a service that auto-tweets spammy paid ads from your account.