If you are the kind of person that likes to picket family planning clinics, thinking you are doing something positive that can help make a difference, repeat the following after reading each of the statements in the following list: "Picketing a clinic will help change this."
- About half of all pregnancies in the US are unplanned (about 3.1 million each year)
- 70% of pregnancies to women in their 20's are unplanned.
- About half of all American women will have at least one unplanned pregnancy during the course of their life.
- About one third of all unplanned pregnancies end in abortion. (about 1 million each year) Very rarely does a planned pregnancy ever end in abortion.
- Slightly less than half of unplanned pregnancies are the result of birth control failure.
- About 20% of those birth control failures are caused by improper use.
- Slightly more than half of all unplanned pregnancies are the result of the failure to use birth control at all.
- Many Christian pro-lifers preach abstinence as the best and only acceptable method of birth control, failing to understand that married people also end up with unplanned pregnancies, and abstinence isn't really the best option if you want to stay married.
- Christian pro-lifers do not want sex education taught in schools, which includes education on birth control. They only approve of educational programs that preach abstinence.
- Christian pro-lifers do not want free condoms distributed to sexually active teens.
- Many pro-lifers are also against universal healthcare, which would make birth control more affordable to more people, and make medical care for children more affordable too. They are unwilling to provide any real help to women that choose to keep their babies or help to prevent unwanted pregnancies.
- There is a severe shortage of families willing to adopt minority children and children with special needs, and a severe shortage of foster families willing to take those children until adoptive families can be found. Minority women that opt for putting their children up for adoption instead of having an abortion are dooming their children to being raised in institutions. The same goes for any woman that opts to have a baby they know will have severe disabilities, that they know they are unprepared, unwilling, and unable to care for.
- Many Christians do not want gay and lesbian couples to have the right and ability to take those children out of those institutions and give them a proper home with a loving family, and a chance to live a normal life.
Still think picketing a clinic is something positive that will help change things?