We Have Moved!

This blog has been retired and will receive no new content. To read new Cranial Soup articles, please visit our new location.

Monday, October 06, 2008

The Censorship Is Still Ringing In My Ears


We are all familiar with the type of censorship that occurs on the radio with songs containing swear words being bleeped or blanked out. Plenty of artists have been subjected to this, and it seemed that no artist or swear word was immune to this type of censorship in America...except one.

Ever since the release of "The Dark Side of the Moon" back in 1973, Pink Floyd has been oddly immune to the same type of censorship that has victimized every other artist.

In their song "Money", there is a line that goes like this:
Money, its a hit.
Dont give me that do goody good bullshit.

Never, since the 70's, when I first heard the song on the radio on 95.5 WPLJ New York (back when they had an album rock format), have I ever heard that song censored. I have heard it a million times over the years and heard "bullshit" in it, clear as day, each and every time.

The Almighty Pink Floyd, was allowed to openly say what other artists could not.

I do not know why...maybe it was out of respect. Maybe it was just overlooked (doubtful), but they were allowed to swear as much as they wanted.

Even the song "Pigs", which contained the following lyric, was never censored:
Bus stop rat bag, ha ha, charade you are.
You fucked up old hag, ha ha, charade you are.

Yesterday afternoon that all changed.

For the first time in my life, I heard "bullshit" blanked out in "Money" on 101.9 WRXP New York. That station did what no radio station ever dared to do before. They censored Pink Floyd!

Omgwtfbbq!!!11one-eleventy-eleven!
Shameful! Shameful! Shameful!

They not only totally ruined my listening pleasure, they ruined my day, as well. This has been bothering me for the last 10 hours. How dare they censor a song that has always been allowed to stand in it's entire artistic majesty, on the public airwaves, for well over 30 years!

I am still in shock...stunned.

They are an awesomely fantastic radio station (you can listen to their stream and check them out for yourself), BUT...this incident is going to linger with me, bugging the hell out of me, for a long time.

How dare they!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Had you considered it may have been a publicity stunt, i mean whilst you are angry about it, you still gave out their link right? You know they say theres no such thing as bad publicity!