Let's face it...Google has serious flaws as a search engine. It is over-run with bogus pages of keyword lists, links to counterfeit sites, links to other inferior search pages, splogs, sites that try to hijack your browser and load your PC with spyware, and generally crappy unrelated results.
What you are looking for is burried in garbage. In order to find anything decent, related to what you are seeking, you have to set Google to show you 100 results per page instead of the default 10, and spend much more time scanning those results for what you are seeking.
- What if there was a button on every page that let you vote whether the page was of quality or was crap?
- And what if the quality pages moved up in rank as a result of your vote?
- And what if the pages you labeled as crap fell in rank as a result of your vote?
- And what if you could only vote for a page once, and only once? (you can always change your vote at some point in the future if the site became crap or became good)
- And what if you came across a quality page that wasn't in your search engine's database and could add it yourself with just a click of a button?
- And what if you could decide what keywords should be attached to pages?
What if StumbleUpon became a search engine?
It's not as far fetched as it might seem. At some point in the future, there will be enough SU members rating pages they come across and adding sites that they like to the database, that SU could actually make the jump from a simple amusement of random pages based on your interests, to a real search engine dishing out quality results based on rankings given by their userbase.
They could succeed where other search engines have failed.
I, for one, would love to see what would happen if SU did make the jump. It might be just the thing to replace Google as the top dog of search engines.